CCRR FAQ for Community

Updated March 25 th, 6:00 pm

This document can be found at

Important links

Oregon’s Early Learning Division 

Oregon Health Authority

Frequently Asked Questions

Are you open?

CCRR-MC is open, but all staff are working remotely and our services have been reduced.  Following guidance from Oregon’s Health Authority and Oregon’s Early Learning Division, all in-person classes and appointments have been cancelled until further notice.  Staff are monitoring phones and email and are providing responses within 24 hours to all inquiries. If you are a provider providing emergency care, please indicate this in your message so we can contact you ASAP.

How do I access CCR&R?

Please call our main number 503-491-6205 or use direct contact info here.  We will return your call or email within the next 24 hours.  All team members are working remotely under guidance from the Early Learning Division and Mt. Hood Community College. We will be updating our Facebook @CCRRMultnomahCounty page throughout the day with updates and information provided to us.

I would like to temporarily close my business during this time, who should I notify?

If you are closed or plan to close your program temporarily, please contact your licensing specialist AND leave a detailed message with your contact information on CCRR-MC’s main line, 503-491-6205, indicating the dates of your closures.  You can also email

Do I have to close my child care program?

In a letter from Amy Joyce, the Early Learning Division Child Care Director… ”Yesterday, Governor Brown announced Executive Order 20-12, which calls for new business closures, including child care. The order will require child care providers – licensed and recorded programs – to close unless they are providing emergency child care. The statewide child care closure takes effect Wednesday, March 25. Providers must submit an application to remain open by Friday, March 27. This will give providers time to talk with families and staff regarding participation in emergency child care…”  Read the entire letter

Please review the letter from the Miriam Calderon, the director of ELD to help guide your decision. 

  • Facilities must prioritize the child care needs of first responders, emergency workers, health care professionals, followed by critical operations staff and essential personnel, followed by individuals working outside of the home, consistent with guidance provided by the Oregon Department of Education, Early Learning Division. 
  • Essential Health Worker: Direct health care service providers, including but not limited to doctors, nurses, home health care workers and individuals who work with the elderly; and critical function workers whose attendance is required for a health care facility to remain operational, as determined by the health care facility.  
  • Essential Worker: all workers needed to keep social systems functioning and people served: grocery store workers, custodians, gas station attendants, recycle & trash, sewer cleaning, etc. 

If you are NOT caring for designated emergency and essential personnel, please contact us to temporarily close your program. If you are not sure, please contact your licensing specialist to discuss your situation.  Email or call 503-491-6205. Please indicate your program name, date of closure, license number (if known).

What if my program wants to stay open to serve the emergency and essential workforce?

See the guidance documents and press release on March 24th.  You will need to complete the application and your licensing specialist will contact you. To complete the application:

  1. Download the application. Save to your computer/tablet/phone.
  2. Fill in all required information on the form. Save your changes to your computer.
  3. Send an email or fax the form to the contacts at the bottom of the form. or fax to 503-947-1428.

Providers offering emergency child care must also follow specific guidance released by the ELD, in partnership with the Oregon Health Authority. Emergency care requires specific health/safety checks and group sizes of no more than 10 children in any home or in each classroom.  

Why do I need to fill out a separate application to be an emergency care program?

This application allows the Early Learning Division to know who is able to operate under the temporary rules enacted during the COVID-19 emergency. This information is vital as new policy decisions are being made and to understand the supply of child care.  This will allow for quick and easy referrals for emergency and essential workforce families to access care. This application will also allow CCRR to check in with you to determine what you need to remain in operation and is also being shared with the USDA food program, so those payments can easily continue during open operations. Expect a call from your licensing specialist to review your application and answer your licensing questions.

What if I need more staff or supplies to stay open?

Please complete this brief survey to let us know what you need. We are using this information to get resources and supplies where they need to go. For the most up-to-date information please see the Early Learning Division websiteMore information is expected within the week on how to obtain needed supplies.

I am worried about financial loss during my temporary closure due to COVID-19. What should I do?

This is an unprecedented situation that no one anticipated. We are collected specific questions and seeking additional supports to address this concern.  CCRR-Multnomah County will keep this FAQ document, website, and Facebook @CCRRMultnomahCounty updated with available resources as we learn about them. Please see below for more information on how the DHS ERDC program has expanded and can assist you in collecting payments from families living at or below approximately 250% of federal poverty level (about $61,500 for a family of 4). 

Additional Resources 

What if parents can’t pay their copay because they are out of work?

Good News-ERDC has implemented temporary changes. Please see the press release here or call the DHS Direct Pay Unit with questions Monday-Friday, 8:30am-4:30pm at 1-800-699-9074.  Letters went out March 16th stating the following:

    • There is no copay-existing copays have been reduced to $0.00. If a family has already paid their copay, please work with them on reimbursement. Further guidance is forth coming on how long this will last but is in effect for March and April.
    • The income limit has increased for initial eligibility and now is the same as the ongoing and exit amount limits (approximately 250% of FPL).
    • The absent day policy has expanded and child care providers can bill ERDC for up to one full month for children scheduled to be in care but are unable to attend due to the COVID-19 crisis.  This also applies to families receiving child care assistance through the TANF JOBS program.
  • ERDC has implemented emergency billing for temporarily closed facilities. Licensed providers (RFM, CFM, CNT provider types) and license-exempt centers (NQC and QEC provider types) can bill in the event of temporary shutdown. Providers must remain in approved listing status to receive payment. Initial guidance suggests this is for up to 14 days-More guidance will be coming next week in regards to how long a facility can be closed and still receive payment. 

Will I be paid by DHS for providing care even if children are choosing not to attend due to COVID-19?

Please see above.  DHS will continue to pay for children in your care even if they are absent or you are forced to shut down due to the COVID-19 emergency. Please see the press release here or call the DHS Direct Pay Unit with questions Monday-Friday, 8:30am-4:30pm at 1-800-699-9074.

Will CCI continue to pay me even if children are choosing not to attend due to COVID-19?

Yes, please contact for more information.

When is the Preschool Promise application due?

Deadlines to submit an application for Preschool Promise or the Equity Fund have been extended to May 4, 2020.

My CPR is about to expire (or already has). What should I do since all CPR classes are cancelled?

CCRR agencies are working with the office of child care to set up a TEMPORARY online version that will fulfill this requirement to keep everyone in good standing. More guidance will be coming out shortly. You will not be out of compliance if you were unable to obtain this certification in time due to the COVID-19 response, but must adhere to future and temporary guidance on this.  For individual circumstances, please contact your licensing specialist. 

Can I have an in-person appointment or a site visit?

In accordance of the recommendations provided by the Oregon Health Authority, we will not be meeting with individuals face-to-face or provide on-site visits until further notice. 

Can I make an appointment to review my CDA or Spark portfolio?  

Currently, we are not meeting with individuals in person.  Please call or email us so that we may provide support over the phone, email or by virtual meeting.

How do I access training for licensing?

We have canceled all in person training until April 28th.  We are working on the possibility of offering trainings online.  Please check the Early Learning Division, Office of Child Care for a full list of frequently asked questions and specific information on licensing.

You can also visit the OCCD website for mandatory online trainings:

Take your Food Handlers test FREE of charge:

I signed up for a training, will I get a refund?

We are currently providing refunds for all canceled trainings from March 12 thorough March 31st. Our team is working on processing the refunds so there is no need to call to cancel.