Website Nuestro Jardín Academy, Spanish Immersion Preschool
Nuestro Jardín Academy is a Spanish Immersion, Reggio Emilia inspired preschool in close-in Portland. Our preschool provides a high-quality immersion program with an emergent curriculum, which responds to children’s needs and interests. We are looking for candidates who are flexible, passionate about young children, show initiative, and are able to adapt to the ever-changing needs of our children.
Applicants must speak English and Spanish.
- Maintain a warm, caring, and enriched learning environment as well as a safe, healthy, and orderly classroom environment
- Demonstrate genuine interest in young children
- Develop empathetic relationships with children, other teachers, and families
- Work closely with Teachers and assist them with carrying out lesson plans, conferencing with parents, and children’s documentation
- Organize and clean classrooms
- Prepare food for children’s snacks
- Be responsible and accomplish routine tasks with regard to the health, safety, and well-being of children in accordance with the requirements of the Oregon Child Care Division.
- Adhere to personnel policies as outlined in the Employee Handbook
- Participate in professional development activities and complete continuing education requirements.
- Be available to substitute for other classes as needed.
- Cover breaks
- Possess the following skills: organized, able to clearly communicate in writing and verbally, detail-oriented
ASSISTANT TEACHER’S QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bilingual Spanish speaker; must speak English
- Twelve months experience working in a licensed childcare center with 3-5 year olds (Reggio-inspired school or similar setting preferred but not required)
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- Eager and willing to expand thinking continually and to grow professionally
- Open to new ideas, flexible
- Knowledge of or ability to implement Positive and Conscious Discipline
- Excellent references
- Must meet all licensing requirements: Enrollment in the Oregon Central Background Registry, Recognizing and Reporting Child Abuse training, current CPR/First AID card, Food handlers card (the latter 2 may be obtained within 90 days of employment), Introduction to Child Care Health and Safety (must be completed within 30 days of employment)
- Must be able to lift 35 pounds
- Must be able to actively interact with children on their level such as sitting on the floor and kneeling at a table
- Must have the ability to bend over, stand, and move quickly as necessary
- Be available to work between the following hours 7:45-5:30 (actual schedule is 11:15-5:30, but earlier hours would be during times to substitute and during staff meetings)
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS :
- Starting at $16-$21 per hour depending on education and work experience
- Sign-on bonus
- Retention bonus
- 5 weeks off (4 unpaid) in a year
- Up to 40 hours of paid sick days per year (based on average hours worked)
- 1 week paid vacation (first year; if under contract after 1st year, all 5 weeks off are paid)
- 15 hours of required continuing education and cost of
- Safety Set courses paid for (refunded) after 1 year anniversary and each subsequent anniversary date
ADDITIONAL EXPECTATIONS :
Program Participation and Team Member:
- Arrive to work on time; punctually attend and actively participate in all required activities, meetings, and trainings.
- Be a respectful, cooperative, and reliable team member and participant in program activities.
- Project a professional work image
- Be familiar with, and adhere to, position-related policies and procedures as well as the program’s overarching objectives.
- Present proof of immunizations, including COVID-19 vaccine.
Respect and maintain confidentiality of information regarding enrolled children and families, personnel issues, and other program operations as appropriate.
New teachers must satisfactorily complete a training program before summer camp sessions and/or the new school year start.
A minimum of one year commitment is required.
Part-Time: average 30 hours per week
CALENDAR INFORMATION :
Nuestro Jardín Academy mostly follows the Portland Public Schools Calendar during the regular school year:
- 2 weeks off in December
- 1 week off in Spring
- 6 observed holidays during the school year
- 5 days of professional development/planning days before the school year begins
- 7 days of professional development/planning days/in-service days throughout the school year
Summer camp sessions:
- Run for part of June, July, and part of August.
- 3 weeks off during the summer (1 week between the end of the school year and start of summer camps and 2 weeks at the end of summer)
- 1 observed holiday in the summer
- 3-5 days of professional development/planning days/in-service days before summer camps begin
Interested applicants, please send a cover letter and resume to Claudia Contreras-Peters, Director, via e-mail.
ONLY APPLICANTS WITH PRIOR EXPERIENCE OR EDUCATION IN THE FIELD OF EDUCATION/EARLY CHILDHOOD WILL BE CONSIDERED
ONLY COMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED
For more information, visit http://www.nuestrojardinacademy.com
Interviews will start as soon as possible.
Phone or Zoom call
Classroom Visit/Shadow Day
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org